CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Under the fiancial responsibility laws of Washington State.

Customer Question

Under the fiancial responsibility laws of Washington State. The Wash Dol suspends your liscense If there is a responsible possibility that a judgement would be entered against you.(For being in a accident with no insurance)You could either file a bond,
our show the Dol some form of settlement with the other driver. Would a chapter 7 our a 13 prevent a liscense suspension.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Generally, yes, filing bankruptcy will discharge your liability for the accident (see this quick summary of considerations when filing bankruptcy to recover your license: http://www.evergreenbankruptcy.com/obtain-your-washington-state-drivers-license-in-2-days/).
While it is possible to file bankruptcy without an attorney (see: http://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy/filing-without-attorney), I do recommend that you retain a lawyer to represent you in these matters as it is usually the best way to maximize your after discharge financial position and ensure that you get the most from your bankruptcy (most bankruptcy attorneys are very affordable). You can find local attorneys using the State Bar Association directory: , or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my income is below the median for my household, do I still have to do a expense test to qualify for bankruptcy.
Yes, all debtors must complete the "Means test" when completing their bankruptcy schedules.
(if you are filing, again, I would encourage you to hire a bankruptcy attorney to assist you - they really are worth the money - but if you are not, the most important thing to keep in mind as you complete your schedules is to list everything, the schedules are the most important documents in your bankruptcy filing, and everything that is listed can be dealt with, your initial schedules have a "presumption of correctness" and while you can make amendments to them, these amendments lose that presumption and it is easier for your creditors and the trustee to attack them - so get them right the first time, and make doubly sure you have everything listed correctly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told I wouldn't qualify for a chapter 7 because of my income. But I have a planned FMLA were I will be gone from my job for 2 months. Will that leave allow me to qualify for chapter 7?
Generally that type of gap in employment can qualify you for Chapt. 7 where you otherwise would be forced into a Chapt 13.
This is "bankruptcy planning" (and again, is where having a bankruptcy attorney can help. The means test can be "massaged" and you can talk to an attorney to find out when would be the most strategic time to file to maximize your financial outcome after discharge and leading up to your filing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How fast can I covert a Chapter 13 into a chapter 7. I don't qualify know per my income, but I know due to my future income I know I would qualify.
You really don't want to try to convert a 13 to a 7 - while it is possible, it is a lot harder to do than it appears. (Once again, speak to a local professional, but I wouldn't do it unless there was some very compelling reason to do so, there is a very real risk that you are going to be trapped in the 13 and locked into making payments for 5 years and if your income drops you are going to be in worse shape than you are now).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even if you do qualify for Chapter 7, you still have to take a means test?
Yes, everybody gets to take the means test now. (The BAPCPA legislation ensured that everyone gets to go through that).