Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I had a lien placed against me condo association

Customer Question

I had a lien placed against me for unpaid condo association fees. I paid the lien off in full. It still shows up on my credit report but is listed as PAID. Is that being reported correctly? If not how can I get it removed? Also does if it can not be removed
does this affect my credit any differently than when it was unpaid? I attempted to have it removed but was unsuccessful. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
The fact that it is been PAID and showing as such only means the lien holder did its job when you paid it. They notified the credit companies it has been paid.
However, it will not change any affect the lien had on your rating. It is the lien that affects your rating not the paying off of the lien.
You can only dispute inaccurate information on a credit report. The information on the lien will remain on your account for 7 years. Though in the meantime, paying off your bills and closing accounts will increase your score.