Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Can my drivers License be suspended in a accident

Customer Question

Can my drivers License be suspended for being in a accident with no insurance. Can filing bankruptcy prevent my license from being taken.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
yes, it could be suspended for driving without valid insurance. Bankruptcy can discharge any accident claim owed to whom the debtor hit/insurance company, but does not discharge any tickets/fines associated with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can Bankruptcy prevent my License from being suspended for being in a accident with any insurance.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
no, it cannot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I can list the other person as a creditor, before he decides to sue.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can get rid of the obligation for property damage and medical in the bankruptcy
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to prevent a license to be suspended due to driving with no insurance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a Chapter 7 bankruptcy be approved if the other driver estimated debt is the only debt listed in my bankruptcy proceedings. Is your bank account considered no exempt our exempt
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
no way to stop the license issue. yes, it could be approved if it is the only debtthe bank account depends on the amounts and the exemptions you have available in your state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So basically the amount I think I'm going to get sued for is enough for a chapter 7 bankruptcy to be granted.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
it will be discharged if not intentional and no alcohol or drugs
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
please rate me 5 stars when clicking accept. thanks and good luck