TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Title 7 would fix most of my financial issues but how much

Customer Question

Title 7 would fix most of my financial issues but how much does one need to qualify for bankruptcy? I am also paying off a student loan and I would like to continue paying this loan until debt is repaid. In short, Will there be any issues with my student
loan if I do qualify for Title 7?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
I assume that you're referring to Chapter 7 bankruptcy (Title 7 generally refers to the Civil Rights Act).
In California, you can automatically qualify for a Chapter 7 if you earn less than $49,983 annually. If you have dependents, then that figure increases depending on the size of the household.
However, even if you earn more than $49,983 annually, then you may still be able to qualify for a Chapter 7 if you can pass the means test, which is a method of determining your discretionary income after various allowed expenses are subtracted. In order to determine whether you pass the means test, you'd need to take all of your finances to a local attorney to review. But again, this is not necessary if you earn less than $49,983 annually because you'd automatically qualify.
As for your student loan, it would almost certainly not be discharged. Accordingly, you would continue to be liable for it after the bankruptcy, and the bankruptcy should not affect it at all.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.