dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
29685164

If you have filed Bankruptcy and, after filing but before discharge,

Customer Question

If you have filed Bankruptcy and, after filing but before discharge, you find out that you are going to inherit some money, what happens to that money when you get it?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Over 37 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
The money may be claimed by the BK trustee, on behalf of the creditors, as an asset. And this applies up to one year after you receive a discharge. Likewise, depending upon the amount of the inheritance, you may be able to claim it exempt under the BK exemptions which allow you to claim up to approximately $18000 in exemptions in CA.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.