TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

A judgment was filed against us many years ago

Customer Question

A judgment was filed against us many years ago for approximately $38,000. In an attempt to collect, the Assignee of the judgment, SOCA Funding, LLc, is petitioning the court to appoint a receiver to collect. We have no property and very few assets. Also, there is another lien filed against us by the IRS for $131,000. Doesn't the IRS take precedent over any other creditors?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
No, the IRS does not automatically get paid before other creditors. They have to get in line like everybody else. They do have some preferential treatment when it comes to garnishment, bankruptcy and other related matters. But the preferential treatment does not generally extended to lien priority.
My suggestion would be to retain a local bankruptcy attorney to see if bankruptcy could get these debts discharged and still save whatever assets you have.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.