Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Managing Attorney for one of the largest consumer bankruptcy firms in America.
70685486

if I purchase a house without paying off my debts or claiming

if I purchase a house without paying off my debts or claiming bankruptcy will my debtors be able to put leins on the house.
I am a bankruptcy attorney and I would be happy to assist you. If a creditor obtains a judgment in a court of law against you, they can record it at the local county assessor's office. That judgment then becomes a lien against any real property you may own in that county. Some creditors will file their judgment in order to create a lien, while others will simply attempt to garnish your wages or bank account(s). If a lien has already been filed against you in your county and you do not own any real property, then the lien will attach to the real property as soon as you buy any and it is transferred into your name. If a creditor has a judgment that is still valid and they have not yet recorded it, they will also be able to record it after you purchase the property. Therefore, if you know of creditor judgments filed against you, you should consult with a local bankruptcy attorney before purchasing real property.

I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think the judgement was filed in the same county that I want to buy a house

In that case, the judgment creditor may re-file the lien wherever you purchase property. Ex) the new county. You will need to check with the county recorder's office where you wish to purchase property, before you do so, to determine if there are any liens in your name. I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating!