Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Debtor filed and received a Discharge in 2011 on a Chapter

Debtor filed and received a Discharge in 2011 on a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Can they file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy now?

I'm thinking No, they cannot file a Chapter 13 since it is less than 6 years.

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes they can file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy now but will not be able to obtain a discharge.

Here are the time periods involved for refiling.

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A person may file a chapter 13 at any time after receiving the discharge of the chapter 7 for purposes of invoking the automatic stay and setting up a payment plan. There is a four-year restriction regarding the ability to obtain a discharge after having filed a prior bankruptcy
Thank you very much Wayne for the positive rating and the bonus! It has been my pleasure to work with you.

I am here to help. To speak with me again, simply place my name in the first sentence of your new question. If I cannot help you, I can direct you to someone who can.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer , please consider providing me a 10 rating. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.