socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

A debtor is filing Chapter 7 and using Minnesota State Law

A debtor is filing Chapter 7 and using Minnesota State Law Exemptions. Her bank account had $333 in it on the day of her bankruptcy filing. All of those funds are from a paycheck deposit made within 4 days of the bankruptcy filing. Under state law, 75 percent of income is exempt. Will the trustee require the debtor to turn over $83.25 of that $333.00?

Under MN Stat. 550.37 Subd. 13, 75% of a debtor's net disposable earnings are exempt from attachment or levy. Therefore that 75% is exempt from seizure by the bankruptcy trustee, unless the earnings are held in a deposit account more than 20 days after paid by the debtor's employer.

Your facts allege that the payment is only four days old, therefore the 75% remains exempt at the date of filing of the bankruptcy petition, and the remaining 25% must be turned over to the Bankruptcy trustee.

Note: If the debtor chooses the federal bankruptcy exemption, debtor can exempt up to $12,725 in any property. Bankr. Code 522(d). This is more than sufficient to shield the debtor's cash earnings.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful. And, thanks for using!