How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 35570
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unknowingly I have not paid my ex spouse almost 20 years worth

Customer Question

Unknowingly I have not paid my ex spouse almost 20 years worth of a divorce decree property settlement that involved 42% of my military retirement pay. The principal alone will be approximately $250k. She has an attorney to negotiate with me a settlement. My annual salary is approximately $100k. I have nothing in personal savings but I do have $350k in an ERISA 401k. My California home was just refinanced and there is little or no current equity. I am 57 years and plan to work another seven years and then retire. I have no other monthly consumer debt. If ordered by the court to pay this estimated $250k amount, would I qualify for Chapter 13 bankruptcy when I can't afford it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Ordinarily, a 401(k) account cannot be reached to satisfy a creditor claim in bankruptcy. But, your claim is one for a court-ordered division of community property, belonging to your ex spouse. Consequently, the account can be reached via a QDRO to obtain the $250K that you owe.

In Chapter 13, a debt owed to a spouse in connection to divorce, other than for child or spousal support, can be discharged at the end of a fully-paid Chapter 13 plan. Bankr. Code 1328(a)(2). However, the question here is whether or not the property that you hold is part of the bankruptcy estate, or the property of your ex.California law imposes a constructive trust over property wrongfully withheld from its owner. Cal.Civ. Code §§ 2223, 2224. However, federal bankruptcy law includes such property in the bankruptcy estate, unless it can be directly traced to the creditor's property. In re Advent Management Corp.104 F. 3d 293 (U.S. 9th Cir. 1997).

Consequently, if your ex could trace your property to the original community property division, she could have that property excluded from the bankruptcy estate and turned over to her, regardless of your bankruptcy filing. If not, then the debt would be discharged as part of the Chapter 13, assuming that you complete the bankruptcy plan.

There is one other issue here. In order to qualify a Chapter 13 plan, your unsecured creditors must receive as much as they would during the bankruptcy plan, as they would receive were you to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Consequently, if you have little debt, other than the debt to your ex, then given that the 401(k) is not exempt from a domestic relations order, and it can be reached to pay the judgment originally ordered by the court, via a QDRO, you may not be able to protect that money in bankruptcy, and as a result, You will not be able to confirm a Chapter 13 plan that will avoid your ex's claim.

This is an accounting problem. You will have to have a bankruptcy lawyer run the numbers to see if filing Chapter 13 would have a beneficial effect. If yes, you probably can discharge the debt to your ex, in some amount, because tracing the assets may be impossible after 20 years. But, if your assets exceed your debts, when counting the 401(k) as an available asset to satisfy your ex's claim, then the Chapter 13 plan will not be confirmed, and the entire exercise will be a wasted effort.

What I'm describing here is an unusually complex bankruptcy law scenario. However, I believe my analysis and conclusion is correct. You will need to discuss this thoroughly with local bankruptcy counsel before making a decision.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful. And, thanks for using!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
Chat Now With A Bankruptcy Lawyer
2083 Satisfied Customers
Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)