dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
29685164

I filed for bankruptcy in July. I got all the documents together

I filed for bankruptcy in July. I got all the documents together and signed the final documents 2 weeks ago. Now, today I get an e-mail from the legal firm, saying that LA county doesn't allow retirement loans in the means test and now I don't qualify for bankruptcy, but they would like me to come in and discuss my options. They took my money and now after telling me for months that I qualify, now they say I don't. I feel that they screwed me. Can I sue them?
Over 35 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

It sounds like you met with a legal firm in July but have not actually filed the BK yet. And upon review, the firm determined that you do not qualify. If that is the case, and you have paid money, they should give you a full refund as they represented to you initially that you did qualify. And if they refuse, you can file a complaint against them with the state bar of California. You can also sue them in small claims court.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I get paid for helping you.