WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Hello my husband was a police officer. He was accused of rape.

Customer Question

Hello my husband was a police officer. He was accused of rape. The charges where never filed and he was convicted of procedural things and he resigned. Now the lady is suing him. They want us to settle and it's so hard to agree when you know it's a bunch of crud. They say settle and get it over with. If we settle can we then claim bankrupcy. Will that help us at all not have to pay judgement or once judgement is made do we have to pay
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 3 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Would he have to admit to wrongdoing?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under bankruptcy law section 523(a). The most common types of nondischargeable debts are certain types of tax claims, debts not set forth by the debtor on the lists and schedules the debtor must file with the court, debts for spousal or child support or alimony, debts for willful and malicious injuries to person or property, debts to governmental units for fines and penalties, debts for most government funded or guaranteed educational loans or benefit overpayments, debts for personal injury caused by the debtor's operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated, debts owed to certain tax-advantaged retirement plans, and debts for certain condominium or cooperative housing fees.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If your spouse makes an agreement for settlement and does not in any way state or admit that he caused willful and malicious injuries to person or property he would be able to discharge the settlement

WALLSTREETESQ :

Any settlement should be drafted by an experienced attorney who understands the law,

WALLSTREETESQ :

especially of bankruptcy so he can make the settlement

WALLSTREETESQ :

discharged in a possible bankruptcy

JACUSTOMER-cesjbfx1- : No he would not buy if it's settled he would have to pay the 50 thousand but not admit guilt. I'm really slow. So if he doesn't have to admit guilt we could possibly file bankrupcy and not have to pay judgement. We have no jobs right now. Our house is paid for but no income
WALLSTREETESQ :

Yes,

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would also consider protecting the home since it is paid for,

WALLSTREETESQ :

as if you file bankruptcy it can be taken to pay off creditors

JACUSTOMER-cesjbfx1- : If we were to divorce and I here to take the house and he wouldn't have to pay me for child support would that protect the house
WALLSTREETESQ :

That may protect the house, if the house was given to you in the divorce

JACUSTOMER-cesjbfx1- : Ok so this is very doable. Right. If I twist and turn the right ways it is doable. I'm sorry just the thought of this convicted drug and protitution felon getting anything upsets me. I will leave u alone now thank you for your help. If I need more can I request you personally
WALLSTREETESQ :

I would also force them to sue you in court and see if they actually do it.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You can ask for wallstreetfighter and I can help you

WALLSTREETESQ :

Thank you and good luck

WALLSTREETESQ :

if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback,