Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

This is a chapter 7 case. The Debtor filed his petition about

This is a chapter 7 case. The Debtor filed his petition about a month ago. Since then, he took a job in another state and moved there. Will the court allow him to conclude his case in the court / jurisdiction where the initial petition was filed or will the debtor have to dismiss and re-file where the debtor moved? The Debtor wants to complete where originally filed. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Jurisdiction for a chapter 7 bankruptcy case is not affected by a relocation of the debtor after filing.

The debtor will be required to appear at the 341 in the state in which he filed the petition

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can