Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

if a debtor is filing chapter 7 and the creditor has a judgement

if a debtor is filing chapter 7 and the creditor has a judgement against him is that judgement discharable

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes – most judgments are discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However there there is an extensive list of debts that are not dischargeable under section 523 of the bankruptcy code. Section 523 non-dischargeable debts/judgments typically pertain to judgments for taxes, fraud or some type of criminal activity

You can read the Code at this link: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/11/523.html

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can