Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Managing Attorney for one of the largest consumer bankruptcy firms in America.

My chapter 13 bankruptcy was dismissed on October 2 it was

My chapter 13 bankruptcy was dismissed on October 2 it was audited and i received a letter on October 4th stating I owed 570.00 more. I paid the remainder amount online on October 9th and it didn't post until the 11th. I got letter on October 9th stating my case was dismissed on October 2nd and Closed on the 8th. What can I do now I can't get a hold of my attorney or anyone in the office that knows anything. Will I have to refile or can it be reinstated?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Elizabeth Prentice replied 9 months ago.
I am a bankruptcy attorney and I would be happy to assist you. If your bankruptcy was dismissed for failure to make plan payments and your plan was confirmed, you may be able to have your attorney file a Motion to Re-Open the case if you can get caught up. If the $570 you paid was the delinquent amount, there should not be any reason why the judge would decline the motion. The U.S. federal filing fee to reopen a Chapter 13 case is $235. Additionally, you should consult with your attorney regarding whether they will require you to pay them any attorney fees. I am sorry to hear you have had difficulty talking to your bankruptcy attorney. Your attorney may have been out of the office, in court or had other appointments. You should make an appointment to talk to them in person at their office as soon as possible, to discuss the option of reopening your case. I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating.
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience: Managing Attorney for one of the largest consumer bankruptcy firms in America.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

How long do I have to get it re-opened the case?

A case may be reopened with the Judge's permission through motion for a variety of reasons. In some instances, if it needs to be reopened to remove a lien or file a document, then it can be opened years later. However, if it is being reopened for a debtor to continue the plan or get caught up, typically it must be reopened and good cause must be shown as soon as possible. After 30 days, it becomes increasingly difficult to reopen a case.