Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

The department of labor has put a judgement on me concerning

Customer Question

The department of labor has put a judgement on me concerning my business it has gotten over $20000 was wondering if I filed for bankruptcy what would happen to it
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response 1:
If this is a fine or penalty, the debt would not be discharged in your bankruptcy. You would still be liable for the debt. Otherwise, the debt would be discharged in bankruptcy. See 11 U.S.C. Section 523(a)(7).

Just got the letter today will the department of labor settle for a lesser amount

Response 2: It is highly unlikely for the DOL to accept a lesser amount.