cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I lost my job 1 1/2 years ago after 24 years. I had excellent

I lost my job 1 1/2 years ago after 24 years. I had excellent credit during the 24 yrs. During the time I lost my job, I defaulted on my mortgage and credit cards, due to lack of income. I was able to secure a loan modification on my mortgage 14 mos later.
Now I am trying to fix my mistakes with my credit cards. I have every debt collector after me, which is understandable. However, I have one that is actually suing me. I have tried to work with ALL (including lawsuit) to work with me, to no avail.

Is it in my best interest to file BK, and start over? Or should I try to work with debt collectors and pay monthly payments on lower amounts owed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 11 months ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

In the overwhelming majority of cases, it is far more advantageous to file a Bankruptcy when one is struggling to pay one's bills, than to try to negotiate with one's creditors.

cfortunato :

This is because there is no advantage involved with negotiating with one's creditors - as one's credit rating will dip substantially if a creditor agrees to negotiate - and once there is a judgment involved (as there will be because of the lawsuit), one's credit dips even further.

cfortunato :

Whereas, filing a Bankruptcy results in a gradual increase in one's credit score, and discharges any judgments already on one's credit report, and prevents any judgments that have not already occurred.

cfortunato :

Additionally, when there are a number of creditors involved, there will often be at least one creditor who will not negotiate - leaving a debtor will at least one potential judgment.

Customer:

Sorry for the late reply. Your answer would not show up, until today. If I do file BK, what options available? I know there is a 7 and 13. 7 wipes out debt and 13 sets up a payment plan. How does the lawyer determine which one is best for the debtor? I'm sure it is a individual case by case basis, but does one provide more protection than the other? Does a BK have the potential to hurt you with your job?

cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I do file BK, what options available? I know there is a 7 and 13. 7 wipes out debt and 13 sets up a payment plan. How does the lawyer determine which one is best for the debtor? I'm sure it is a individual case by case basis, but does one provide more protection than the other? Does a BK have the potential to hurt you with your job?

It is against the law for any employer to discriminate against any employee or potential employee based on the fact that the employee filed a Bankruptcy.
Chapter 7 is the preferred Bankruptcy, as, in general, with a Chapter 7 debts are discharged without paying anything to creditors, and with a Chapter 13 payments have to be paid every month for up to 5 years. (Both Chapters provide the same amount of protection.)
However, there is an income limit for filing a Chapter 7. In other words, you cannot file a Chapter 7 if your income is over a certain amount. If you answer the following, I can let you know whether or not you qualify to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy:
1) How many are in your household?
2) What is your gross (before taxes) total monthly household income?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

9

AGI = 118,000

Thank you again for your response.
You are very close. The income level to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy if $116,156 for a family of 9 in California.