dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
29685164

when filling bankruptsy what happens to utilities? i am filing

when filling bankruptsy what happens to utilities? i am filing chapter 7 and i owe $1000 to the utilities company. after filing bankruptcy will they cut my electricity? can i just put it in my name again right after?

Over 35 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

YES you can list utilities that you owe and the debt will be wiped out. But the utility company will require that you pay a security deposit after the BK is completed to continue service. Likewise, you are responsible for utility services incurred after the date that you filed BK.

I wish you well. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.