How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38507
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In California can I discharge in bankruptcy a debt from an

This answer was rated:

In California can I discharge in bankruptcy a debt from an unemployed employers fund who pays an injured employee?

If the fund was created by an order of the Cal. Workers Compensation Board, and there are no longer sufficient funds to pay for the employee's injuries, then the question in bankruptcy court would be whether or not the lack of funds is the result of an intentional breach of fiduciary duty on the part of the fund manager/employer (fraud, embezzlement, etc.).

If "yes," then the debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. If "no," then the debt is dischargeable.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provid further assistance.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand. The employer didn't have worker's compensation insurance. If the uef pays the employee can the employer discharge this in bankruptcy?

You meant the Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF), didn't you?

I thought you were referring to some sort of private account that the employer set up to pay for employee injuries sustained during employment.

The UEBTF is a separate government trust fund. It has nothing to do with the employer. So, the answer is, "no," the obligation is not discharged, because it's not being paid for by the employer. It's being paid by the state fund.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you