WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Why would the banks and credit card companies not try to help

Why would the banks and credit card companies not try to help you when you are having trouble. Wouldn't they rather you pay your balance than to file bankruptcy? I am trying very hard to pay my bills, but since my divorce, I have just got soo much credit card debt. I haven't paid any late, but I am only making the minimum payments. I've tried to get a loan to consolidate, but my credit is too far extended. It's in good standing (no lates) just too much. I always wanted to keep a good credit score, and never file bankruptcy, but I'm getting nervous, and thinking that may be my only way out of this $35K debt I have. If it were me, I would much rather get paid than have nothing once bankruptcy is filed. I get a lot of offers in the mail to help from companies, but I don't trust them, and I know of friends who got offers for say 10K credit to pay off debt, and in the end only qualified for 1500.00. I really don't want to file bankruptcy, is there any advice you can give me?

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common situation,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the reason the creditors are not giving you decent settlements is that you are paying them now,

WALLSTREETESQ :

they will not settle with you until you stop paying them,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you stop paying them,

WALLSTREETESQ :

they will then consider a settlement for 50% or less of the debt,

WALLSTREETESQ :

Debt consolidation companies will do the same, they will stop you from making payments

WALLSTREETESQ :

and negotiate settlements with the creditors for a lower amount.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In my professional experience, it is better to file a chapter 7, to get rid of debt, as you will have no payments,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and will not owe any taxes as you would if you settle debts for less than the balance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's too bad! I really wanted to keep my credit rating etc. I wasn't really even looking to pay less than what I owe, I was just hoping one of my creditors can see by my history that I am paying 5 different credit cards every month and would possibly prefer I gave them that amount in one payment by lending me the money to consolidate all of them ... do you see what I'm saying? Also, if I am getting married this Dec. will my fiancée be responsible for any of my existing debt (all in my name)?

A consolidation could work if they agree to stop charging you interest and let you pay the balance over a 3-5 year period.

Since these debts are yours only your spouse would not be liable, however if you ever default in paying them, and have a joint account the accounts can be garnished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it realistic to try and speak with the credit card companies to stop or lower the interest, and if so, who should I speak to...just a representative that answers the phone?

the credit card companies would not do this, it may be possible to sign up for a debt consolidation company who may have the ability to do this, usually they have agreements with creditors to arrange for this.

https://save.freedomdebtrelief.com/consolidation?partner=msn&keyword=debt%20consolidation&match_type=e#step_amount