dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

what happens if a mortgage company does not reaffirm a debt

what happens if a mortgage company does not reaffirm a debt by close of bankruptcy I filed with out an attorney and have not been able to get the mortgage company to respond

Over 35 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

If you were current on your payments, you do NOT need to reaffirm with the mortgage company. Instead, you simply keep paying the mortgage each month. Likewise, if you were behind, and arrangements were not made during the BK for you to get caught up, once the BK is over, the mortgage company can start foreclosure proceedings. Also, many mortgage companies elect to stop corresponding with you during the time that you are in a BK. But once they receive the notice of discharge that the BK is over, correspondence will resume. The botXXXXX XXXXXne, once the discharge is entered, the mortgage company will communicate with you.

I wish you well. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I can get paid for helping you.