Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

I have a collection acct (Verizon) on my credit report and

I have a collection acct (Verizon) on my credit report and Verizon told this debt collector (Afni Co, Inc.) to send a settlement offer letter to me to pay up the debt. But I wrote and mailed a Debt validation letter via certified receipt to the debt collector to the debt collector and requested them to send a validate this debt. But it's been over 30 days and up till now, this debt collector has not vaildated this debt with me?

The only thing I noticed was an alert from my credit report that verizon put or updated collection acct again on my credit report with my new address.

How does a debt collector vaildate a debt with me?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 10 months ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

You can try sending it to Verizon and Afni.

Terry L. :

If they try to sue, and they did not respond to your request, the court would dismiss the case.

Terry L. :

I would send it certified to both.

Customer:

I did a credit dispute with equifax and experian and verizon verified it as a collection debt that I owe on my balance on my final bill with them. But since they told a debt collector to send me a settlement letter I do not know if I should settle it or should I send a letter to Equifax and Experian to delete it?

Terry L. :

sorry, i had a call.

Terry L. :

Well, debt doesn't just delete off of the credit bureaus.

Terry L. :

The creditor is the one to mark it as satisfied.

Terry L. :

I would send verizon and Anderson Financial Network Inc a verification of debt and request for settlement letter.

Terry L. :

once you get feedback, you can make that deciscion on what to do.

Terry L. :

The credit bureaus would only fix inaccuracies, and until Verizon reports it otherwise, you can't change that.

Terry L. :

Debt will fall off after 7 years, but it will be reported as late and bad debt otherwise.

Terry L. :

Hopefully they will respond with a settlement offer so you can clear that up.

Terry L. :

let me know if you have any questions.

Terry L. :

Thanks

Customer:

If I can the settlement offer letter to Afni Co, Inc to pay the balance in full will they be able to remove the item from my credit report and/or update the status as paid in full satisfactory? Because I sent the Afni a debt validation letter and they still did not respond to me and it's past 30 days!!

Customer:

Please reply back to me via comment thread - If I can the settlement offer letter to Afni Co, Inc to pay the balance in full will they be able to remove the item from my credit report and/or update the status as paid in full satisfactory? Because I sent the Afni a debt validation letter and they still did not respond to me and it's past 30 days!!

Terry L. :

They would update your report, usually 'paid at agreed', or 'settled.'

Terry L. :

Any further questions?

Customer:

So they would not removed the item from my credit report? Should I call the creditor or write to them via certified mail?

Customer:

Will the debt collector remove the item from my credit report? Should I call the creditor or write to them via certified mail? Please respond to me via comment thread as I am not always online.

Terry L. : Once paid or settled, it would be marked as such. Items stay on credit for 7 yeas from last actuvity
Terry L. : theyactivity they don't come off your credit until 7 years from last activity on account
Customer:

So when it is paid it should be mark as pair or settled? Should I call the creditor or mail them via certified mail?

Terry L. :

yes, that is correct. I would send everything certified, return receipt requested, that way you can confirm that they received the info sent.

Terry L. :

Thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Customer:

But what if the debt collector ignore me when I mail them a settlement letter offer via certified mail?

Terry L. :

I would send duplicates to the original creditor as well

Terry L. :

This question is still open. I'll change it to Q&A.

Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Let me know what followup questions you have.
If you are done, please click accept to rate my answer.
Thanks and good luck!
Terry
Terry L., Attorney
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The other debt collector has not sent me a debt validation documents yet. What do I do at this point?

They don't have to settle, I would focus on the original creditor.
Terry L., Attorney
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

but the original creditor will only put as the status paid up. They will not put the status as paid satisfactory. That would effect my chances to buy a house because the mortgage loan officer will see the status on the collection item on my credit report.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The other debt collector has not sent me a debt validation documents yet.

Is it true that if the other debt collector does not send me a debt validation document, then do I send a letter to Experian, Equifax, & Transunion stating that this debt collector did not send me a debt validation documents for this collection file item, therefore this collection item should be removed from my credit report?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 9 months ago.
Paid up is about as good as you can get if you were in default before
Terry L., Attorney
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I know that but if the debt collector did not mail me back a debt validation, by law the credit beauru has to remove the item from your credit report.

Is that true?

Expert:  Terry L. replied 9 months ago.
You can use that in your dispute
Terry L., Attorney
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that in full details.