Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Bankruptcy in Washington State:How long can creditors legally

Customer Question

Bankruptcy in Washington State:

How long can creditors legally pursue claims against me or my old businesss (DBA)? I have old bills that go back 7-10 years. I have not paid on any of them since that time (I have been taking care of two ailing parents).

Recently, there was a judgement against my old business in the Salt Lake City courts for $5,000. A generaly savvy friend said that they can't do that and wondered how they pulled it off. Can these creditors still attempt to collect after all this time? Leagally, what can they do. My parents have both passed away recently and I am now in charge of their estate. They have specified that I can gift the money as I see fit to myself and thier grandkids. Can I protect any money they have? I would rather gift it all rather than loose it.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Washington6366
Terry L. :

written contracts, oral contracts, prommisory notes, and open ended accounts (credit cards)

Terry L. :

These are the statutes of limitations on debt collection in washington

Terry L. :

Utah6464
Terry L. :

So, it may be passed the statute if they are trying to collect on the debts.

Terry L. :

The statute starts running from the last payment usually.

Terry L. :

There are companies that try to collect, and if payments are made, that could restart the timeline.

Terry L. :

The suit may be invalid too, as the statute of limitations may have passed. That is a defense that should be raised in the case. if the suit was brought without your knowledge, you can bring a motion to reopen the case for bad service, and then claim the statute as your defense and have the case dismissed.

Terry L. :

Gifts are problematic in bankruptcy, so if you are going that route, be sure to talk and get approval from your bankruptcy lawyer before you do, and follow the directions.

Terry L. :

Bankruptcy trustee's can go after gifts made prior to bankruptcy for up to 2 years, so be careful. These gifts would be disclosed in the case.

Terry L. :

Let me know what questions you have.

Terry L. :

Thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Terry L. :

Any further questions?

Terry L. :

Let me know what followup questions you have. I'll change this to Q&A. Thanks
Terry

Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.

Let me know what questions you have. Terry

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, please click accept to close the question and rate my answer. Thanks! Terry L