Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am 71, have lived in Michigan with a woman that I am not

I am 71, have lived in Michigan with a woman that I am not married to for over 30 years. I authorized one credit card in my name early on and now find that I am in credit card debt with many credit cards to the tune of more than $20,000. I have no assets and live off of my social security and VA disability payments. The credit cards interest rates are all in the high 20% interest rate. What options do I have?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad I assist, but in sorry for your trouble with this.

If you didn't apply for these cards, then you could avoid liability for the debts, but you'd have to file criminal charges against your girlfriend for credit card fraud and forgery. You may not be willing to do that, but it's an option.

The only other thing would be to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and have these unsecured debts discharged through the proceeding. The credit card debt is not secured by collateral, so they should be discharged without any problem. If you want to go this route, you should consult a local attorney about getting a petition filed.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To file chapter 7, is there a limit to what I can receive from my social security and VA disability payments?

Veterans Disability and Social Security is generally not considered as income when determining eligibility for bankruptcy.

So, you should not have an issue there.