Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

FOR PHILLIPS ONLY - CHAPTER 7 question I have filed a motion

Customer Question

FOR PHILLIPS ONLY - CHAPTER 7 question

I have filed a motion to stay pending appeal, it was denied and i will appeal the order asap.

However, at this point, if I understand well, even if I have filed the emergency motion to appeal at the DCA, my opponent can levy my assets and garnish incomes with the limitations of the homestead exemptions.

My question is a WHAT IF question :

What if i file a suggestion of bankruptcy Chapter 7 ?

Should I file this BEFORE or AFTER I get a notice of levy or I see a garnishment ?

Can I cancel or suspend the Bankruptcy procedure it if my motion to stay the judgment filed at the DCA is granted ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

My question is a WHAT IF question :

Response 1
: Before you get a notice of the levy or see garnishment. You do not want your assets to be attached and then have to go to Court again to get the assets returned. That can be quite messy and there is no guarantee of the return of the assets.

Response 2: It is not as easy as that. You can file a Motion to Dismiss. However, unlike in a Chapter 13, a debtor in a Chapter 7 case does not have absolute right to dismiss. The Bankruptcy Trustee may object to the Motion. Your creditors may object to the Motion. The Court may deny the Motion. Also, the fact that you have filed for Chapter 7 would show up on your credit report, but the fact that the case has been dismissed would also appear on your credit report. See 11 U.S.C. Section 707. In any event, below is a Sample Motion to Dismiss. Modify as appropriate.

http://doney.net/bkcode/11usc0707.htm

Sample Motion to Dismiss

[Caption: Official Form 16A]

Debtor’s Motion to Dismiss

Chapter 7 Case

The Debtors in the above-mentioned case, by their attorney, pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 707, hereby move to dismiss their bankruptcy case for the following reasons:

1. A voluntary petition under chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code was filed by the Debtors on [date].

2. No complaints objecting to discharge or to determine the dischargeability of any debt have been filed in the case.

3. The Debtors have realized that filing a chapter 7 case was a mistake, made because they were unaware of the value of certain family heirlooms which they had inherited prior to the case, and which are sufficiently valuable so that they may not be claimed as exempt.

4. No creditor has filed a claim in this case.

5. The Debtors are willing to compensate the trustee for any expenses incurred herein.

WHEREFORE, the Debtors pray that this bankruptcy case be dismissed without prejudice.

Date: [signature]

Attorney for Debtors

http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/RulesAndPolicies/rules/BK_Forms_1207/B_016A_1207.pdf

http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/RulesAndPolicies/rules/BK_Forms_09_Official/Form_16A_Caption_INSTRUCTIONS_0509.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the valuable info, before submitting my own questions, I had reviewed the Q&A here on these matters and had noticed that your answers were brilliant, seems to be confirmed.

Follow-up question is the following : basically there is nothing to attach or to levy for me, however, I need to work on my appeal. The lower court was totally biased, and my opponent and his lawyer are doing all disallowed or illegal things, I need to counter them each time in the lower court it is a jungle, and it's tough, then I need to appeal next the decisions of the lower court, etc...

To give you an example, just now, my opponent's lawyer has redacted a notice of filing with 6 paragraphs of allegations, and had it signed by my opponent becuase it's meant for the CT District Court and his lawyer is not licensed in that state. My opponent is an uneducated guy who has no idea of what's in that notice.

QUESTION : Of course i will fight that, but with a suggestion of bankruptcy, would this typically keep these guys at bay ?

I have no creditor really other than this one, and I can survive, so the outcome would be, when I win the appeal, that motion to dismiss.

As far as credit report, the judgment will be in there too, so I have to make my day with that issue I guess.

Thank you for the clarification and for your generous comments.

Response:
Yes. Once the bankruptcy is filed and Notice of Bankruptcy Case (Suggestion of Bankruptcy) is sent to the Court where this case is pending, ALL actions on the case MUST be suspended pending the outcome of the bankruptcy case.

Sample Suggestion of Bankruptcy

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.