cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

hello i am 30 years old, single, have no property and am on

Customer Question

hello i am 30 years old, single, have no property and am on social security disability and have been for the last 12 years.

i have approx 30 thousand dollars in credit card debt and other small debts with companies like HSN, QVC. i am looking to file bankruptcy and clear my debt.

my father passed about a year and a half ago and since then my mother has advised me that i need to clear up my debt in the event of her passing there is life insurance policies as well as other inheritance that she will be leaving to me.

i am primarily a homebound disabled individual. i leave the home with a in home support worker only when i have a doctors appointment. my questions are as follows:

does my situation seem like bankruptcy is an option and
being that i am disabled do i have to appear in court or can my bankruptcy attorney show up on my behalf.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 3 years ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is Chris and I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

1) Based on the information you provided, Bankruptcy is a good option. Your mother is correct to be concerned about the life insurance and your inheritance - as some of both can be taken to pay your creditors.

cfortunato :

If you file a Bankruptcy at least 6 months before you become entitled to receive life insurance proceeds, and also an inheritance, then both will be safe.

cfortunato :

2) If you file a Bankruptcy, you will be expected to show up one time with your attorney. You will be expected to attend a 'trustee meeting', not to go to court.

cfortunato :

If it is impossible for you to attend your trustee meeting, it is possible for the meeting to be conducted over the telephone.

JACUSTOMER-416b9joz- :

great, thank you for your answer i really appreciate it

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

And please have a pleasant day.