Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Finances are stretched nearly beyond repair. Credit cards all

Finances are stretched nearly beyond repair. Credit cards all full or over, except I have one credit card not used with 0% transfers. My income does not match the bills I currently have. Medical... Utilities... Etc...

I don't want to file bankruptcy if possible. So I'm looking at debt consolidation companies, etc.

What is the best course of action to bring the bill into a manageable state?

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

There are many not-for-profit agencies that can help you. Avoid the for-profit ones though. Check with the BBB.

Terry L. :

They can help you negotiate with the creditors, offering a reasonable payment plan based on your current budget.

Terry L. :

They can also negotiate settlements too, if you want to go that route.

Terry L. :

You may want to at least talk to a local bankruptcy attorney, many of my clients don't realize the minimal impact a case would have, and the many positives and advantages to filing.

Terry L. :

Most people are back on track just a few months after the case.

Terry L. :

Either way, talk to professionals to review your situation, most will offer free consultations.

Terry L. :

Let me know what questions you have

Terry L. :

Do you have any questions?

Terry L. :

You may have stepped away. Let me know what questions you have,and I'll answer them once notified. Thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Customer:

I can't chat. I really can only go back and forth on the regular question answer method. However, I'm trying to get financial guidance on my situation described in my original question.

Terry L. :

Ok, I will change it to Q&A.

Terry L. :

What questions do you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I realize a free consult with a legit bankruptcy lawyer would help. However, what I was hoping to understand is these debt consolidation advertisements I hear on the radio. I don't want to get hooked into a scam or make a decision that will adversely effect future finances. And bankruptcy I believe should be avoided if at all possible. Recovering credit worthiness that's not really that bad at the moment, is probably not worth the time. It's just a matter of squeezing these bills into something actually doable. Can you recommend any non-profit companies or for profit companies that are reputable, or is there any other advice you can provide in this vein?

Unfortunately this website prohibits me from recommending any one company. I would make sure it is a not-for-profit agency. Check with the better business bureau for referrals, also you can google "not-for-profit debt consolidation or settlement company' and you'll find some in your area.

As you stated, there are a lot of scams out there, so be cautious and read everything they present to you so you know what you are getting into.

Best of luck.
did you have any followup questions? Let me know. Otherwise, click accept to rate my answer and close the question. thanks
Terry L
Terry L