dkennedy, Attorney
Experience:  15+ years experience

I am going to declare bankruptcy next summer when I retire,

I am going to declare bankruptcy next summer when I retire, after I move from SLC, UT to Bozeman, MT. The only asset I want to keep is my one and only car. What do I need to do, or not do?

This is quite a general question. Just need a few more facts. Are you planning to do it yourself or hire an attorney? Do you have a lot of assets you are going to surrender to the trustee?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I plan on getting an attorney. The only asset have is my car. Whats a trustee?

You will have to go to a sort of a "class" on budgeting and fill out tons of forms. Your lawyer will fill you in on that. But likely you will have no court at all, just a short meeting of creditors, where none of them show up only rarely. A trustee is a lawyer who is a "go between" hired by the bankruptcy court to look over the paperwork and manage your bankruptcy like seizing assets if he/she has to, making sure your papers are up to par and so on.