Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hi My friend is selling his house. Hes unemployed and his

My friend is selling his house. He's unemployed and his UC benefits will expire at the end of October. He has Alzheimers and cannot get work.

In 2007 I saved my sister's house from being forclosed on when we were selling her house by filing some type of bankruptcy that we could withdraw after the house sold and we were able to pay off all her debts. Can you tell me what type of bankruptcy that was and if we can do this now?
After the UC benefits expire his only income will be $2000.00 from SSI.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

This is likely a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which is where a person enters into a reorganization of debts and establishes a payment plan to pay off all debts over time. This bankruptcy allows the debtor to KEEP all of his assets/property as opposed to a Chapter 7 (which is a complete liquidation).

Thus, a Chapter 13 is likely what you're looking to file. Here's a good link about it:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the average legal fee for filing a Chapter 13 in PA?

There's no such thing as an average attorney fee because each chapter 13 is different and the cost depends on the amount of assets involved, etc.

However, my broad guess would be that you're looking at $1500 - $3000, depending on the assets involved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. That really helped.

No problem. Thank you for allowing me to assist, and please let me know if you need anything further.