dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
29685164

My Divorce lawyer informed me that attorney fees owed to opposing

My Divorce lawyer informed me that attorney fees owed to opposing counsel could be dismissed via bankruptcy in Georgia. I talked with an bankruptcy firm and they said that attorney fees that are awarded in a divorce are considered support and cannot be discharged with bankruptcy. Can you show me (send me the link) to the GA law on this matter?

Over 35 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

There is no Georgia law link. That is, bankruptcy follows federal rules. More specifically, there are certain debts that are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy including taxes, debts based on fraud, claims for injuries based on an intentional act such as driving drunk, and court ordered attorney fees arising out of a divorce matter. Accordingly, your divorce attorney is very wrong!

Thanks for your question. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.