WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I heard that If I try to include the debt(default judgment

Customer Question

I heard that If I try to include the debt(default judgment with fraud charge) the creditor will most likely open a adversary hearing. Would it be hard to prove that it wasn't a fraud through adversary hearing?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 11 months ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

In an adversary hearing, you have an opportunity to present your evidence that their was no fraud,

WALLSTREETESQ :

fraud would have to be proven by the creditor,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the law is vague on what constitutes fraud, however it would help you if an adversary hearing is held, and you can show that their wa no fraud,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you can convince the bankruptcy court that fraud was not made to incur the debt,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you would be able to discharge the debt.

WALLSTREETESQ :

A good attorney should be retained to represent your interests in litigating the matter.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How much equity is needed for a bankruptcy judge to decide if my primary home should be sold or not? How do judges estimate our home value? Do they use the site like Zillow.com or?

In terms of a home value an appraisal should be provided by an actual professional.

In terms of equity the Court looks at the bankruptcy exemptions for the State.

The Homestead Exemption Amount in California
If you file for bankruptcy in California and are eligible to use California’s bankruptcy exemptions, you can choose from two exemption systems, often called System 1 and System 2. (To learn more about which state exemptions apply in your situation, see Which Exemptions Can You Use in Bankruptcy?)
In California’s System 1, single homeowners who are not disabled may exempt up to $75,000 of the equity in their home or other property covered by the homestead exemption. You may exempt up to $100,000 if you live with a family member; $175,000 if you are 65 or older, or physically or mentally disabled; $175,000 if 55 or older, single, and earn a gross annual income under $15,000 or are married and earn a gross annual income under $20,000 and creditors seek to force the sale of your home. If you are married but separated, you may claim the homestead exemption in community property occupied by your spouse.
In California’s System 2, homeowners can exempt up to $24,060 of the equity in their home.
No Doubling for Married Couples in California
Some states allow married couples filing joint bankruptcy petitions to double the amount of the homestead exemption. California, however, does not allow married couples to double the homestead exemption amount.
The Scope of the California Homestead Exemption
In California System 1 the homestead exemption applies to real or personal property where you reside, including a mobile home, boat, stock cooperative, community apartment, planned development, or condominium. In System 1, the homestead exemption also applies to proceeds from a forced sale of your home received six months prior to bankruptcy.
In California System 2 the homestead exemption applies to real or personal property that the debtor or a dependent of the debtor uses as a residence, including a cooperative, or a burial plot for the debtor or dependent of the debtor.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-california-homestead-exemption.html

See the link above.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How do I find good bancruptcy atterney in Los Angeles area? I'm having hard time finding a good banckruptcy atterney

http://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/bankruptcy-lawyers

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgs/

You can look for good attorneys at the links above.

Also, call the local bar association for good attorneys.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If there is high equity on my home, can lien judgment creditor make decision to sell my home in banckruptcy? Or only the mortgage holder can make that decision?

The lien holder could try to sell the home, however the mortgage lender would be paid first, it is very rare for another lien holder to pursue a foreclosure.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Even if there is high equity, if I have good mortgage payment history, will they still want to foreclose the home?

no usually they will wait till you sell the home to get their money, the legal expenses are very high to actually foreclose
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what's the approximate expense range form them to foreclose my home? just to get an idea.

$5-$10,000 for legal fees, then the first mortgage gets paid, so unless they know they will actually get paid if sold they will not bother, as in a foreclosure the price sold will be 20-30% less.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lets say there is mortgage loan balance 1.1mill and the judgment lien amount 300,000. if the appraiser value of my home is 1.4mill, will my home get sold through chapter 7 BK?

yes, as you have too much equity the exemptions will not protect you
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I was able to discharge the judgment lien debt through chapter 7, will I be able to remove the lien after?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I was able to discharge the judgment lien debt throught chapter 7, will I be able to remove the line from my home or are they seperate matter?

You would have to file a motion to avoid the lien with the bankruptcy court, typically once a lien is placed, it is difficult to have it removed from property.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Let's say I was able to discharge the judgment lien debt through BK but the lien is still on my home. I know there is 10% interest for the judgment debt but the debt is discharged. Will there be any interest for the lien amount after the debt has been discharged or is it a set lien amount?

If the judgment is dismissed, and only the lien exists interest would not accrue.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I know that If I don't make mortgage payments for many months, the mortgage holder can forclose my home. How many months can the bank wait until they decide to forclose?

3-6 months in some State it take 6 months to foreclose, in CA it would be longer 9-12 months
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Let's say I no longer want to file BK. I was told that my primary home is protected which means lien holders can't kick me out nor foreclose it. I understand the mortgage loan lien holder can foreclose if only if I don't make payments but judgment lien holders can't foreclose the home right?

Lienholders rarely can or have the ability to foreclose, the law does allow them,

California real estate liens remain in effect for five years unless the collection agency requests a continuation of the lien within the six-month period preceding the date the lien expires. Should the lien expire without the collection agency requesting a continuation, it may use its judgment to request a new Abstract of Judgment from the court and file a new property lien. California judgments remain enforceable for 10 years and are renewable for a total of 30 years. If the judgment itself has expired, the collection agency may not renew or file a lien against your home.http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-collection-agency-levy-lien-against-home-1693.html
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You said "California judgments remain enforceable for 10 years and are renewable for a total of 30 years." Does this mean the judgment that that I have will no longer be enforcable after 30 years? I thought you can renew the judgment debt every 10years infinitly.

As I read the law, in CA

A judgment may be renewed once for a second ten year period. See Cal. Code of Civil Procedure Sec. 683.110. Thus, the most a Cal. judgment may last is 20 years, if all papers were filed properly. See CCP Sec. 683.130. This extends enforceability of any judgment liens, but the After my review of the law, in CA a lien may not survive past the 20 year maximum of the underlying judgment. See CCP Secs. 683.180 - 683.210.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your answer.

Some attorney told me the judgment may be renews infinitely some says 20 years max. This is very important to me. How can I check which way is right? you gave me the codes but how do I check those?

It is confusing, from the law cited, it states after 10 years you can renew, but it does not state you can renew after twenty, or after the first renewal.

683.180. (a) If a judgment lien on an interest in real property has
been created pursuant to a money judgment and the judgment is
renewed pursuant to this article, the duration of the judgment lien
is extended until 10 years from the date of the filing of the
application for renewal if, before the expiration of the judgment
lien, a certified copy of the application for renewal is recorded
with the county recorder of the county where the real property
subject to the judgment lien is located.
(b) A judgment lien on an interest in real property that has been
transferred subject to the lien is not extended pursuant to
subdivision (a) if the transfer was recorded before the application
for renewal was filed unless both of the following requirements are
satisfied:
(1) A copy of the application for renewal is personally served on
the transferee.
(2) Proof of such service is filed with the court clerk within 90
days after the filing of the application for renewal.

683.190. If a lien (other than a judgment lien on an interest in
real property or an execution lien) has been created by an
enforcement procedure pursuant to a judgment and the judgment is
renewed pursuant to this article, the duration of the lien is
extended, subject to any other limitations on its duration under this
title, until 10 years from the date of the filing of the application
for renewal of the judgment if, before the expiration of the lien, a
certified copy of the application for renewal is served on or filed
with the same person and in the same manner as the notice or order
that created the lien.

683.200. If a judgment is renewed pursuant to this article, any
enforcement proceeding previously commenced pursuant to the judgment
or to a writ or order issued pursuant to the judgment that would have
ceased pursuant to Section 683.020 had the judgment not been renewed
may be continued, subject to any other limitations provided in this
title, if, before the expiration of the prior 10-year period of
enforceability, a certified copy of the application for renewal of
the judgment is filed with the levying officer, receiver, or other
officer acting pursuant to such writ or order or, in other cases, is
filed in the enforcement proceeding.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it is confusing. What's the best way to find out the true answer?

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1180.htm

It is confusing as even online attorneys interpret the law different, I would call the local Civil Court and ask the clerk, the website above makes it seem that you can renew every 5 years forever.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is it possible to design the bankruptcy to pay IRS back tax debt first before lien judgment debt if trustee sell my primary home? Assuming IRS back tax debt has no lien on my home but the judgment debt has lien on my home.

It may be possible through a chapter 13, also IRS debt can be discharged in full if over 3 years in some instances
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

would it be ok to go to debtor's examination with out brining anything the creditor is asking for? Too many things they asked and I will try to negoticate at the meeting.

you can do that, however be prepared to justify why you did not bring the documents.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is state back tax debt dischargable or only the fedral back tax debt?

Federal and State income taxes may be eligible for discharge under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy code under certain circumstances.
Chapter 7 bankruptcy provides for a full discharge of allowable debts. Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a debt consolidation and a partial repayment of debts over a period of time; allowable debts that are unpaid after completion of the repayment plan are then discharged. As a result, under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 may be discharges, so long as the requirements are met for discharge.
There are five rules that determine dischargeability of tax liabilities:
The due date for filing the tax return is at least three years prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition.
The tax returned was “filed” at least two years prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition.
The tax assessment is at least 240 days old (as of the date of filing the petition).
The tax return was not fraudulent.
The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.
First, the tax debt must arise from a tax return that was due at least three years prior to filing the bankruptcy petition. This requirement includes any extensions. So, if you filed for an extension, the time period is calculated from the due date of the extension.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, it not my imcome taxes but My IRS back taxe debts are from not paying 940 and 941 Taxes. are these back tax debts are dischargable through bankruptcy?
Once the tax has been determined by audit and assessed against the corporate entity, the IRS has 3 years to assess the trust fund portion of the tax (the amount withheld from employee pay) against responsible parties under IRC §6672. This is called the trust fund recovery penalty assessment. From what you say, it appears the assessment for trust fund tax has been made against you. That liability is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Let's say mortgage lien holder decide to forclose my primary home due to non mortgage payments. Will I be able to get homestead examption $100,000 as married couple? If there is enough equty.

the exemption would apply to your home.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I recieved some certificate of tax lien letters and notice of state tax lien letters but when I check public records, I don't see any lien on my home. does that mean, these liens are on my business or business proporties only? Or these government liens don't show on public records?

If the lien are in the name of the business, they would be on the business, if they are in your personal name, they would be on your name, however they may have not recorded it on your property yet.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If there is high equtiy so trustee sold my home in bankcrupty and there is some money to be paid to creditors. Who will get paid first between the IRS lien debt(lien on business only) VS Judgment lien debt(lien on my home that got sold)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Me and a debtor are trying to settle the case but for the mean time, my local attorney advised me not to go the debtor's examination. The creditor set up a debtor's examination meeting at court while a go but I didn't go so there is a arrest warrant on me. I had travel out side of country, the attorney advised me to reschedule the debtor's examination meeting date to be after my return date to avoid getting arrested at airport. So I did but didn't go to the 2nd debtor's examination also. The attorney told me only bail amount will be increased but not a big deal. I have to travel again soon and I have to repeat rescheduling. Is it ok to keep repeating this or will I get in trouble?

Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 9 months ago.
I do not know why you would not appear for the meeting, an arrest warrant is serious, and you could face jail time as well as Court sanctions.
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Is it possible for collection agents or attorneys to find information about my financial status such as mortgage loan balance or bank accounts?

Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 8 months ago.

Yes, these are public as they can run a credit check on you and run a trace with all local banks on your social security number.