Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West

I live in Monroe county PA, I have approximately 45k in credit

I live in Monroe county PA, I have approximately 45k in credit card debt through various lenders. I have recently received a notice from the Monroe county sheriff's office that I will served with legal process documents. Does this mean a judgement has been made & is it to late to file for bankruptcy? Income is approx. $2300 a month, bills $2200
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : No, this doesn't mean that a judgment has been granted against you. Instead, this means that someone - - probably a creditor - - has filed suit against you for money owed.
Kirk Adams : However, a judgment can't be obtained until after you are served and given an opportunity to respond to the lawsuit filed against you.
Kirk Adams : Also, it is NOT too late to file bankruptcy. If you file now -- or really any time before the judgment is obtained, or even after -- the debt can be discharged through bankruptcy.
Kirk Adams : However, it's generally best to file bankruptcy BEFORE a judgment is obtained in order to avoid any collection attempts.
Customer:

Thank you. What are the approximate costs to file for bankruptcy?

Kirk Adams : Sure.
Kirk Adams : The filing fee is usually around $300.
Kirk Adams : An attorney will handle a simple / uncomplicated bankruptcy for around $1000.
Kirk Adams : However, you can usually make these payments over time through a payment plan.
Customer:

Are you able to recommend someone?

Kirk Adams : I can't make a direct referral, but I can recommend that you visit www.martindale.com.
Kirk Adams : You can search for a bankruptcy attorney by location from that site.
Kirk Adams : When you go to the site, click on Find a Law Firm or Lawyer, and then put in your search criteria
Customer:

Thank you very much for your advice the anxiety level is dropping.

Kirk Adams : No problem. Glad to help.
Kirk Adams : THANK YOU for allowing me to assist.
Kirk Adams : Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer:

Should be good for now, going to see who's local on that site & we'll go from there. Thanks again have a good evening

Kirk Adams : Ok.
Kirk Adams : I'm glad to help. Please let me know if you need something in the future.
Kirk Adams : Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I will receive credit for my time. THANKS!
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West