FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

can an estate file bankruptcy...trying to preserve home from

Customer Question

can an estate file bankruptcy...trying to preserve home from foreclosure...
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. I am a Florida attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Can you please explain in detail what is occurring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This home is in Fl...my Father died and the home loans is in my father's name...my wife and I would like to preserve the home as our homestead... we transfer the title to our names...but the loans are in his...

Therefore I thought by filing a estate bankruptcy we could get the time to do a reverse mtge. on the house or find a way to modify the loan...our income is strong enough to support the HAFA requirements

Thank you for your explanation.

An insolvent or solvent estate cannot file bankruptcy.. An estate cannot be a debtor in bankruptcy. However there are other methods that may be available to accomplish your goal of saving the house and I would be happy to discuss them with you..Please tell me what has occurred in the foreclosure proceeding to date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

currently they are trying to foreclose on me...because I own the house...all though the debt is in my Dad's name...

Although the estate cannot file a bankruptcy, you could consider filing a personal Chapter 13 bankruptcy as a tactic to delay the foreclosure.

A chapter 13 bankruptcy provides a codebtor stay that could prevent the foreclosure action from proceeding and thus provide you with the additional time you are seeking.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if I do a ch 13 then I cannot do a Reverse mtge...

that is why I thought if the estate can do it then we can apply for a reverse...

Unfortunately bankruptcy protection is not available to an estate.. If you file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you would require court approval to do a reverse mortgage.

Foreclosure proceedings typically proceed slowly. You may have more time than you realize. Has a sale date been set?

Hi Bob,