dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

Can a person on SSDI,SSI file for bankruptcy? If they file

Can a person on SSDI,SSI file for bankruptcy? If they file bankruptcy,they have a pending Accident case will she lose settement$$.

Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Yes, you can file a bankruptcy if you are collecting SSDI, SSI, or both. Likewise, with any bankruptcy, you have exemptions by which you can protect things you own like cars and other personal property. But there are limits of what you can protect. And if your settlement exceeds that limit, the court will take your settlement and apply the money to pay your bills.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but once the courts pay my bills what will the courts do with money that is over the bills amount? How long would it take for courts to return my money?

If there is money to pay your creditors, the court will send a notice to each creditor asking them to file a claim with proof that they are owed money. This takes about six months. And then, after the creditors who file are paid, you get what ever is left over. Realistically, this can take up to one year.

Thanks for your question. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.