cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I recently lost my job and I am unemployed. I plan to file

I recently lost my job and I am unemployed. I plan to file for bankruptcy in 6 months when I qualify for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. My question is can I sell non-exempt property now and purchase "Tools of the trade" for a new career. For example, I want to become a professional BBQ pitmaster (full time and not a hobby). I want to do BBQ competitions and food catering on the side. If I purchase a $30,000 portable BBQ pit with the proceeds of my non-exempt funds, could I exempt the new portable BBQ pit and my existing truck that has equity above my exemption limit for vehicles under "Tools of the trade". This would be a new small business for me for gainful employment after bankruptcy. I previously worked for Federal Service in health care. Thanks.

Terry
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

You are allowed to engage in 'pre-Bankruptcy planning' - which includes converting non-exempt assets into exempt assets.

cfortunato :

So there would be no problem purchasing tools of the trade with non-exempt assets.

cfortunato :

However, you would not be allowed to use the Tools of Trade exemption for your truck - for which you would be allowed to use only the $5,000 motor vehicle exemption.

Customer:

Purchasing tools of the trade for a new career is also ok as opposed to my previous career? What burden of proof is required for a new career?

cfortunato :

There is no requirement that the business be in existence for any length of time.

cfortunato :

The burden of proof would be minimal.

cfortunato :

Any evidence to show the BBQ is being used to make money (instead of for personal use) would be sufficient.

cfortunato :

Are you planning on forming a business (sole proprietorship, LLC, corporation, etc.)?

Customer:

Yes, eventually. Initially, I will be competing on the professional BBQ circuit for cash prizes.

Customer:

Any concerns or do I need to form a LLC first?

cfortunato :

Competing for prizes does not sound like a business.

cfortunato :

It would be better if an LLC was formed before a Bankruptcy was filed.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

Competing for prizes - alone - would not be considered to be a business. If you sold food to the public, in addition to competing, that would be a legitimate business.

It would be better if an LLC was formed before a Bankruptcy is filed.

cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.