dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

Does a chapter 13 bankruptcy (or Chapter 7) affect a general

Does a chapter 13 bankruptcy (or Chapter 7) affect a general contractor's license in Utah?
Or a contractor's bondability? In Utah, a real estate agent can file bankruptcy and has to report it to the division of Real Estate, but that's it. It has no impact on the license.

Also, the standard attorney fees in Utah for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy are $3500.00. Can the debtor pay these all upfront to the attorney or does the court/local bk rules require that a percentage of the attorney fees be paid during the plan?

Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Thanks for your question. Note, like a realtor, a chapter 13 or 7 BK filing does not affect your contractor's license. But like a realtor, you do have to report it to your state licensing board. Also, the payment of attorney fees is between the client and the attorney except that the fee has to be approved by the court as part of the chapter 13 plan. That being said, the attorney will either require that the entire fee be paid upfront, part of it and the balance paid over the life of the plan, or 100 percent in the plan. I wish you well. please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.