Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How do I go about self-filing for Bankruptcy? How long does

How do I go about self-filing for Bankruptcy? How long does the process take? Will BK filing reduce my Available Credit and/or Raise the APR on my Visa credit card? A.P. Mucundh
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

How do I go about self-filing for Bankruptcy?

Response 1: You should use bankruptcy petition preparer to file your bankruptcy case.
Bankruptcy petition preparers prepare bankruptcy forms but they cannot give you legal advice because they are not Attorneys. Click on the links below for some of the bankruptcy petition preparers. You can do some searches on Google or Yahoo if you do not like the ones on the links below.

http://bridgeportbankruptcy.com/bridgeport/index.asp

http://usabankruptcyassociates.com/usabk/moreinfo.asp#wedo

How long does the process take?

Response 2
: Four months.

Will BK filing reduce my Available Credit and/or Raise the APR on my Visa credit card? A.P. Mucundh

Response 3: Once you file for bankruptcy protection, all your credit cards would be closed. Any open line of credit you have would be closed.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Mr. Phillips,Thank You for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed and lengthy response to my question! Fantastic legal response! And you do not even practice in California! I hope and pray to find somebody with your ethics in San Diego County, where I live. I left you a $12.00 tip. This is my last follow-up question to you, Sir. Another lawyer elsewhere had suggested that I first try the Probate process and that BK should be the my last option. New legal term for me! Is there a better legal way for me aside from filing for bankruptcy? I earn very little. Losing my Line of Credit seems a bit extreme to me. Thanks once again for such an informative response. With my Best Regards, [A.P. Mucundh, Escondido, CA.]

Response:
Dear Mr. Mucundh: Thank for the positive rating and for the bonus. It is greatly appreciated. Please do not hesitate to ask additional follow-up questions if you still need clarification.

I am not sure that probate process here would help since you live in a community property state of California where debts acquired by both spouses during the marriage are considered marital/community debts. However, there are certain instances where debts even if acquired during the marriage would not be considered community debts if the debts were not accumulated for the benefit of the marriage. It could be argued and has been argued that medical debts are not accumulated for the benefit of the marriage. However, some debt collectors may disagree and have infact attempted to collect hospital debts from a spouse who did not accumulate those debts. Nevertheless, you may try to probate her estate and see if her creditors would back off. If they do not, then you can file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy to wipe out the debts. Since she did not have much, the probate/administration of her estate would be a relatively simple process. Click on this link for more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent response once again, Mr. Phillips. I am sorry I can't leave you any tip this time because I noticed two payments that I did not make to JustAnswer.com One is for $19 and the other one is for $5. I did not see the $12 tip I left for you in my credit card statement. Kind of baffling. I will call the office and get this thing sorted out first. Meanwhile, I wish to thank you profusely for your invaluable legal advice and suggestions. Much appreciated. I will keep you posted about the developments as and when they occur. If you happen to know of any probate lawyer in San Diego County please let me know. I will compensate you for your inputs after this debt problem gets resolved in my favor. Like the saying goes - "A known devil is better than an unknown saint!" Ha, ha. Best, A.P. Mucundh [Escondido, CA.]

Response: Good Morning Mr. Mucundh: I am here at your service. Please let me know if you do not resolve the issues of payment with JustAnswer and I would take care of that for you. I just realized that you posted two different but similar questions and I happened to answer both of them and you paid for both of them. If those questions were meant to be one post, I am sure JustAnswer would straighten it out and refund any overpayment to you. We want you to be satisfied with your experience here.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any probate Attorney in San Diego area. In any event, the terms of service prevent me from making personal referrals. However, you can use the following sites to find local probate Attorneys:

lawyers.com

justia.com

I do not have anything else to add to my responses. However, if you think of something else and need clarification, I am here to clarify it for you.

Yes, do let me know how you made out. I like to know how my suggestions worked out.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Mr. Phillips, Greetings! Your responses and suggestions have been very helpful to me. I work weekends. I will call JustAnswer on Monday and sort out this payment matter. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, have a wonderful weekend, Sir. Regards, A.P. Mucundh [pronounced as Mu-kun-dha]

Okay, Mr. Mucundh.

You have a wonderful weekend too!

There is no need to respond to this post.

Thank you!