WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I filed bankruptcy in 2009 and the house was included. I am

I filed bankruptcy in 2009 and the house was included. I am still in the house because the foreclosure was stopped by the courts. Why am I expected to pay taxes for a house that is not my house. The mortgage company will not release the title unless I pay for the house. My city wants me to do expensive upkeep. How do I get the house out of my name?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

was the mortgage discharged in the bankruptcy?

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the mortgage was discharged,

Customer:

Yes it was.

WALLSTREETESQ :

they cannot sue you, and they are the liable party for the taxes, the city can only put a lien on the home for the unpaid taxes, and eventually foreclose for the unpaid tax debt.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The mortgage company would not release title, they are the owners of the home,

WALLSTREETESQ :

as long as the mortgage was discharged you are not liable for it.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Property taxes are secured debt, and the debt is attached to the house. When the mortgage company forecloses on the property, the county or city will receive payment on any outstanding property taxes. Any taxes or mortgage still owing after foreclosure are no longer your responsibility, as your Chapter 7 discharge will eliminate your obligation.

Customer:

Who is responsible for major repairs?

Customer:

Can I have my name removed?

WALLSTREETESQ :

You are not liable in anyway for the property,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the only way to have your name removed is to either give up the deed to the lender through a deed in lieu

WALLSTREETESQ :

or a foreclosure,

Customer:

Is it best to remain in the house or leave it? What is a deed in lieu?

WALLSTREETESQ :

You can stay as you do not have any payments,

WALLSTREETESQ :

a deed in lieu is when you call the lender and advise them you want to turn the deed to them, and sign the deed to them, they will accept it in most cases.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have another question. I just changed my renters insurance back to homeowners insurance. Should I change it back to renters insurance?

No, I would leave it as homeowners insurance, as there is no landlord or rental agreement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, very much. You were very helpful.

good luck