WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

In Virginia, if you file for chp 13 bankruptcy on the day your

In Virginia, if you file for chp 13 bankruptcy on the day your house is to be sold at auction does that cancel the sale?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 11 months ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

if the case number XXXXX issued prior to the sale, and the sheriff was notified it will stop the sale,

WALLSTREETESQ :

all actions to the home must stop once a bankruptcy was filed,

WALLSTREETESQ :

However, you need to make sure the parties involved in the sale are notified of the bankruptcy case number,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If they sold the house after you filed bankruptcy,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you can file a motion to reverse the sale as well.

Customer:

I'm not sure if I can see all of your answer. If the sale is at 820a and I am not able to get a case number XXXXX until 130p, is there anything I can do?

WALLSTREETESQ :

the court should issue you a number once the case is filed,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you may need an attorney to file it online, they may get it faster.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the sale is 8:20am, you may want to go to the sale, and advise them you have filed bankruptcy,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and a case number XXXXX be issued, they may stop it, but without evidence of a bankruptcy they may still let it go through.

Customer:

If the sale goes through is it final or will the bankruptcy null it once the case number XXXXX XXXXX?

WALLSTREETESQ :

The automatic stay starts as soon as you file your bankruptcy paperwork at the courthouse, so you have to somehow show them you did this,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if they do not stop the sale,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you would have to file a motion to reverse the sale in bankruptcy court, and it is possible the bankruptcy court will reverse the sale, but it is not a gaurantee,

WALLSTREETESQ :

guarntee

Customer:

can you refer me to an online lawyer that might be able to do this early in the am before the sale?

WALLSTREETESQ :

It cannot be done by an online attorney, it has to be done by a local bankruptcy attorney,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You can go to the link above and try to contact them to see if they will file the case for you in the morning.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
You would need a local attorney to file this for you in the morning, it cannot be done with a lawyer online.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback.