Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, real estate law, bankruptcy and estates.

Hello I was made bankrupt three months. The trustees have

Customer Question

I was made bankrupt three months.
The trustees have written to all my creditors asking them for proof of debt, amount, reason for debt etc etc. I assume these are standard forms? Is there a time limit for creditors to get these documents back? When a creditor called the trustees the trustees said they had another 14 days to get the forms over them. Does this mean after this date no creditor can lodge their debt?
Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 3 years ago.

Attorney2020 :

Yes. The creditors are given a period of time to file their creditor's claim to prove their debt if they don't file a proof of claim, there debt will be extinguished. I hope this helps. Please rate my answer. Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-hx3pcthk- : Thank you. How long is this usually or is it up to the trustees?
Attorney2020 :

The deadline for filing a proof of claim for non-governmental creditors in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy case is 90 days after the first meeting of the creditors. Government entities must file a proof of claim within 180 days after the date of the order for relief. The deadline for filing proofs of claim is usually included with the first notice sent to creditors. This notice informs creditors that a petition has been filed and indicates the date set for the meeting of creditors. This notice also sets the last date on which they may file objections to the discharge. Although the court generally does not permit extensions once the deadline has passed, the court has the power to extend the filing time if a creditor shows extenuating circumstances or excusable neglect.