Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I would like to file chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, I might

I would like to file chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, I might be $1000 over the Means Test monthly income requirement. Am I automatically disqualified to file chapter 7?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your new question.

In order to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you must pass a means test that compares your family income with the median income of the family of the same size in your state. If you are at or below the median income, you pass the means test in are eligible to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you are above the median income, you must pass an additional test which compares your disposable income and unsecured debts.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.