Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have a mortgage that is in Nevada on joint custody. I have

Customer Question

I have a mortgage that is in Nevada on joint custody. I have 3 partners, none of was married to anyone. The two other partners have declared bankruptcy. The trustee for one of them is trying to sell the house and did not notify me until after they have a short sale appoved through a judge and they want me to sign off for possibly a couple 1k. I'm into the home for much!!! More!! What are my rights? Shouldn't they have notified me of the listing before making a sales agreement?

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Unfortunately, the bankruptcy trustee can liquidate assets. The issue isn't how much you have into it, but what each share of the value is. You can be the purchaser if you want to keep the assets, and can make an offer to the trustee. Otherwise, the property can be sold and the proceeds divided between the owners.

Terry L. :

You are entitled to your current share of any equity. You can fight it on your own dime, and would need to get appraisals to show the value. You won't be able to stop the sale, but you can do what you can to make sure they are getting the most value. Or you can approach it the other way, and get an appraisal and offer less to buy out the debtor's interest. The trustee may entertain cash settlement, to minimize costs

Terry L. :

You should have received notice, yes, since you'll have to sign off on the deal.

Terry L. :

Let me know if you have any questions. thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

JACUSTOMER-qsesp34t- :

Is there any way that I can buy it? I know if I was short selling it, NO. But the trustee is shortselling it? It's going for less than half it's value. If not, can I bring in a different buyer if he/she pays more, shouldn't the trustee be liable to provide the most funds especially since I was not notified...

Terry L. :

You would be buying out the trustee, for the value that the debtor's share is worth after deducting mortgages, and any exemption

Terry L. :

You can call the trustee to see what a buyout offer would be

Terry L. :

You can provide a buyer to the trustee as well, if there hasn't been any other offers, sure

Terry L. :

If you can provide greater value, the trustee would likely take your offer (or your buyer's)

Terry L. :

I have to run to court, if you have any other questions, ask them and I'll respond when back from court. thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Terry L. :

Did you have any further questions?

Terry L. :

If not, please click accept to close out the question

Terry L. :

Thanks

Terry L. :

Terry