dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

We are being taken to small claims court. If things dont

We are being taken to small claims court. If things don't go well and we get a judgment, then file bankruptcy, can that judgement be covered by the bankruptcy? We have enough debt from a failed business that we've been considering bankruptcy anyway.

Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Yes, bankruptcy will wipe out (discharge) judgments that are based on money that you may owe like credit card debts. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If we file bankruptcy after the judgment, it can still be covered? I thought there was a 6 month law - the debt has to be 6 months old at the time you file.

NO, you can file the day after the judgment is entered. The six month rule applies to residency as to where you can file.