cortrightlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.

If I own a home will I lose it if I declare bankruptcy even

If I own a home will I lose it if I declare bankruptcy even if I'm still able to pay my house payment? How about my car?

cortrightlaw : Usually not but it depends on if you have any equity in your home and vehicle. If you do you have to look at the exemption that are available for you to use in your State to protect your assets.
cortrightlaw : When bankruptcy attorneys conduct co saltation a we evaluate what you own, equity etc, them we consider the exemptions that are available to protect your assets. Most bankruptcy attorneys provide a free consultation to discuss your specific situation in detail.
Customer: Good to know. My house is underwater so no equity that could be used to payoff debt. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX any best resource you would recommend on understanding what the consequences of bankruptcy are?
Customer: There are so many sites and its hard to know which to trust for accurate info.
cortrightlaw : I always recommend a book by nolo press on chapter 7 bankruptcy it is a good resource to explain the process.