Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

My fathers case was discharged from Chapter 7 over seven years

My father's case was discharged from Chapter 7 over seven years ago. The attorney who filed his case passed away over 2 years ago. My father can not get any answers to the status of his case. What must be done to get the bankruptcy off his credit report?

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

This is a common situation, you don’t have to do anything. The bankruptcy and any included accounts will be deleted automatically. However, in a chapter 7 it takes 10 years to remove it from a credit report.

The bankruptcy record from the court is deleted either seven years or 10 years from the filing date of the bankruptcy depending on the chapter you declared.

Chapter 13 bankruptcy is deleted seven years from the filing date because it requires at least a partial repayment of the debts you owe. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is deleted 10 years from the filing date because none of the debt is repaid.

Individual accounts included in bankruptcy often are deleted from your credit history before the bankruptcy public record. Usually, a person declaring bankruptcy already is having serious difficulty paying their debts. Accounts are often seriously delinquent before the bankruptcy.

All delinquent accounts are deleted seven years from the original delinquency date, which is the date the account first became delinquent and was never again current. Declaring bankruptcy does not alter the original delinquency or extend the time the account remains on the credit report.

his credit score should have been improved,

regardless of the bankruptcy being in his record,

typically it take 2 years for the credit score to improve after a filing of a bankruptcy.