WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

HOW DOES AN IRREVOCABLE TRUST IMPACT PERSONAL BANKRUPTCY ?

HOW DOES AN IRREVOCABLE TRUST IMPACT PERSONAL BANKRUPTCY ????

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a complicated matter,

WALLSTREETESQ :

the language of the trust will have to be examined to make sure it is truly irrevocable and has a spendthrift clause,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if it does have such language and was prepared carefully, the trust would not be part of the bankruptcy estate, and the assets would be protected

WALLSTREETESQ :

Also prior to placing assets into a trust the individual must understand that in bankruptcy, debtors must report all transfers made within one year of signing the bankruptcy petition. In conjunction with the one year “look back” period in bankruptcy, creditors may also use the Fraudulent Transfer Act to reach assets that have been transferred without fair consideration within their four year “look back” period as well.

WALLSTREETESQ : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on
WALLSTREETESQ : This is a complicated matter,
WALLSTREETESQ : the language of the trust will have to be examined to make sure it is truly irrevocable and has a spendthrift clause,
WALLSTREETESQ : if it does have such language and was prepared carefully, the trust would not be part of the bankruptcy estate, and the assets would be protected
WALLSTREETESQ : Also prior to placing assets into a trust the individual must understand that in bankruptcy, debtors must report all transfers made within one year of signing the bankruptcy petition. In conjunction with the one year “look back” period in bankruptcy, creditors may also use the Fraudulent Transfer Act to reach assets that have been transferred without fair consideration within their four year “look back” period as well.