Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I was in a serious car accident 3 yrs ago. I hired an atty.

Customer Question

I was in a serious car accident 3 yrs ago. I hired an atty. and we settled at the mediation on june 24th of this yr. The settlement was 75,000 and i wastold by my atty that the split would be 50,000 for my husband and I. And 25,000 to the attys. After so much pressure from the mediator and our attys to just take it i signed the agreement. Now 3 wks later im being told that its going to be 10,000 less than what we agreed too, due to the fact that the bankruptcy trustee wont agree to the split of which my attorney represented not only to us but the mediator as well that he was appointed "special counsel" from the trustees office and had the authority to settle the case. I was informed yesterday that if i try to object to this we will not get one penny!! We are homeless and my husband is battling stage 3 colon cancer and we dont know what to do. Please help us Linda XXXXXXXX

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  zdnlaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I just want to start by saying that we can only provide you with guidance here at JustAnswer. We cannot act as your attorney and cannot take any action on your behalf.

If you understand this, and want to continue, can you please explain who told you that if you objected and backed out of the settlement you wouldn't see a penny?