My Son (21), full time student living with me, has an outstanding

My Son (21), full time student living with me, has an outstanding balance of almost 14.000.- $ to our local hospital. He applied for assistance, but was turned down after he sent his 1099 of 2012 (3000.- $) and was told to pay the full amount within 6 month. He also has about 2500.- to pay to other doctors, Emergency room etc. He is unemployed. Should he file for bankrupcy ?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you with your question today, but I must note that your question does ask for specific legal assistance (whether or not your son should file for bankruptcy), which is something I cannot answer due to the restrictions of the forum.

I can let you know that filing bankruptcy at this early stage in this young man's financial life with debts that are proportionately quite small may be premature. At this stage his creditors (the hospital and physicians) only have a claim for fees against him, they do not have judgments or ways to enforce these debts through judicial processes (they may get these in the future but they do not have them now). Perhaps your son should try to work to resolve these debts through payment plans or other means prior to filing bankruptcy. To receive a more specific answer, I would advise that your son visit a bankruptcy or insolvency attorney for an in person consultation where they can discuss this matter and the repercussions of outstanding debt and bankruptcy respectively on his finances going forward.

William B. Esq. :

I hope that my answer was of assistance to you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you for your business!