WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My car was repossessed. If I file bankruptcy, will I get it

My car was repossessed. If I file bankruptcy, will I get it back?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

It is not easy to obtain a vehicle after repossession, unless you can make the payments owed within a small time period, typically once the lender has repossessed the vehicle, they will send the debtor a notice. If a warning was not sent prior to repossession, the debtor may be able to reaffirm the debt by paying the balance due and fees within 15 days. Otherwise, the debtor may be able to pay off the entirety of the debt to regain possession of the vehicle.

If no agreement to reaffirm or pay off the debt is made, the lender will typically sell the vehicle at auction to recover the full amount of the loan. At this point, the debtor may still be able to regain control of the repossessed vehicle by successfully bidding on the vehicle.

Customer: So filling will not get the vehicle returned?
WALLSTREETESQ :

not unless you can make payments to get the car back,

Customer: Ok