dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

I had the bankruptcy in 2004 also tax lien paid for 2009 why

I had the bankruptcy in 2004 also tax lien paid for 2009 why does it have to stay there so long if it was paid already....I dont want to chat..
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

Under the requirements of the Federal Trade Commission, public records such as bankruptcies and tax liens stay on credit reports for eight years. And this is regardless of whether the debt has been paid or not. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So how is it that these credit organizations like lexington law clean up your credit report if stuff like this has time to stay on the report. My bankruptcy was 9 years ago and the tax lien was in 2009. What about inquires I read some where that you can request to the credit report agencies to remove them and they will is that true? I am not talking about errors just regular ones to be removed..

Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
What these so called credit repair companies do borders on being illegal. Basically, they write to whoever reported the bad credit on your behalf and say it was mistakenly reported. And by law, the creditor must either remove or respnd in 50 days. And they know that it takes more than 50 days to respond. So when Lexington does not respond in 50 days, the credit repair company writes to the credit bureaus tha more than 50 days has passed AND, by law, the negative comment must be removed. Which it is and this gives you enough time to buy a house, car, etc. However, after the creditor completes its investigation that the report is accurate, they then have the negative remark put back on. So it is a game which these companies charge alot of money for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Lexington law is the ones charging people to fix there credit. I see what you are saying about the game but is there a legal way as a consumer or person to get these things removed...I think that there are plenty of people that have issue on there credit report and if repairing takes years then it will be hard to fix your credit. What is recommended by you to fix credit .. I read on the Internet Internet inquires and collections should be removed first
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

You must contact each credit reporting bureau. And their disputes forms can be found on their web site. Likewise, if there is an error, it will be removed though the process is very slow. For example, my wife had some inacurrate informaton on her report that needed to be corrected before we could refinance our home. And it took me, an attorney, over a year to correct. So you need to be patient as well.

Please rate my answers ok or better so that I may be compensated for assisting you.

dylatess, Attorney
Experience: 35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law